Many organisms develop adaptive relationships to survive in their environments.  For example, there are creatures populating sunless environments, shrubs that alter their morphology in harsh mountainous climates, and nutrient absorption partnerships between bacteria and plants and bacteria and animals.  My work explores accrued interactions that define the relationships we have with others, our environments, and ourselves. 

My sculpture explores the excitement, fascination, distress, and comfort I have found in discovering the world and myself through new encounters.  The process of my work is playful while strategic and adaptive.  Internal tension within an individual form creates beauty and interest, which leads to dynamic interactions.  In groups or pairs, the contours and created negative space mimic personal relationships in which the individual becomes a sum of its surroundings.  Much like the intricate ecosystems around us, the grouped pieces create a new form defined by the interactions held within.

In the same way my sculptural work explores interactions, my pots are an expression of kinship and experience.  I make functional work to remind and encourage the interactions and developed bonds of those around us.  From family meals to sharing a cup of coffee, utilitarian wares encourage relationships and shared experience.  The subtleties in form and hand built technique create a character meant to remind the user of life events and the ties created. 

The materials and firing techniques I use further narrate a specific time and place.  I use local materials when available; iron clays are abundant but each one unique and characteristic of a place and its geological history.  I find these clays provide a rich variety of surface and colors.  By wood firing, a local material is further used to mark the surface of each piece capturing a moment and location.  The wood fire process is very personal; the variables during loading and firing leave their mark on each piece.