These Brigid Crosses are available at my Etsy shop! 

Irish saint or Celtic Goddess? However you see Brigid, she is a storied spiritual influence and the harbringer of Spring. To this day she represents the sacred female principle in Ireland. Her day, February 1 corresponds to feasts of Imbolc and Candlemas. This handcrafted Brigid Cross is the perfect size to tuck in a book, hang near your mirror, or give to a sister, mother or a dear friend. 

I learned how to make these little crosses years ago, and always enjoy giving them to celebrate sisterhood and springtime. I thought it would be fun to share them here. These crosses are about seven inches diagonally, made from the same sort of slender round reeds popularly used in Ireland to create them. These grow not far from my house near the ocean in Rhode Island. They are tied with cotton twine and made to seven rounds for the seven times four days in February. 

Included are lyrics in Irish and English to an ancient song in praise of Brigid, along with the story of the St. Brigid’s Cross. Available gift wrapped in a pearly grey paper with a subtle basketweave pattern and distinctive blue-to-green basketweave ribbon. I can send them directly to the recipient if you prefer. If you are interested in a special order of a larger cross, please contact me; they can be make up to 12” diagonally from the small diameter reeds I use. 

The quantity is limited. I'll offer them from time to time, and will always have some on hand for Brigid's Day!

Share This:    Delicious Bookmark   Digg Bookmark   Diigo Bookmark   Facebook Bookmark   LinkedIn Bookmark   MySpace Bookmark   StumbleUpon Bookmark   Twitter Bookmark