Randy Miller & DeeAnna Nagel
Thursday, August 25, 2011, 10 am Pacific, 11 am Mountain, Noon Central, 1 pm EST, 6 pm Zurich, 7 pm Istanbul
Does Distance Career Counseling Really “Work”…?
The computer and the telephone have long been invaluable tools in the workplace and in the home. It’s not surprising that they have emerged as invaluable tools in the world of counseling as well. As distance methods have grown in popularity, the need for standards of practice and specialized counselor training has also grown.
Randy M. Miller founded ReadyMinds in 1997 to improve the way individuals think about their personal and career growth. His philosophy was to focus on providing a quality distance career counseling program designed to maximize each client’s opportunity to determine and secure and occupation best suited to their particular talents, needs, and life goals.
DeeAnna Merz Nagel, LPC, NCC, DCC, co-founder of Online Therapy Institute, is a psychotherapist, consultant and international expert regarding online counseling and the impact of technology on mental health. Her presentations and publications include ethical considerations for the mental health practitioner with regard to online counseling, social networking, mixed reality, and virtual world environments. She is a DCC Trainer & co-developer of training curriculums for ReadyMinds Training Division.
Online Therapy Institute * Online Coach Institute * TILT Magazine
PO Box 392 Highlands, NJ 07732
877.773.5591 Confidential Voice 732.708.9265 facsimile
Exercise: What Concerns Do You Have about Distance Counseling?
Distance Counseling involves some significant challenges. Even the most seasoned counselors may have concerns, such as the following, about engaging in distance work with their clients.
- What legal and ethical issues do I need to be aware of?
- How can I confirm, if I am presently practicing Distance Counseling, that I am following best practices and delivering efficient communications to my clients?
- How do I become a ReadyMinds Counselor?
Visit DCF, DCC, & CEU Courses on the ReadyMinds Website to learn more.
- Malone, J. F., Miller, R. M., & Walz, G. R. (Eds.). (2007). Distance Counseling: Expanding the Counselor's Reach and Impact. Ann Arbor, MI: Counseling Outfitters, LLC., ReadyMinds LLC
- Co-contributor: NCDA Monograph Series, Highlighting Successful Career Entrepreneurs: ‘What Is Your Strategic Plan’ , Edited by Sally Gelardin, Ed.D
- Malone, J. F., Miller, K. S., & Miller, R. M. (2003). The evolution of the ReadyMinds model of distance career counseling (DCC™): Implications for training, practice and supervision of cybercounselors. In John W. Bloom & Garry R. Walz (Eds.), Cybercounseling & Cyberlearning An Encore. Greensboro, NC: ACA Foundation & CAPS Publications.
- Best practices in Distance Career Counseling: Roundtable presenter. NCDA Annual Conference. Denver, Colorado. June 2003.
- Technological tools for enhancing career development: Using the “big four”. PDI Co-presenter. NCDA Annual Conference. Chicago, IL. July 2002.
- Cybercounselors: Who they are: What they’re doing; What they’ve learned. Co-presenter. ACA Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA. March 2002.
- Best practices in Distance Career Counseling: Co- presenter. Fordham University Career Services. Bronx, NY. August 2002.
- Distance Career Counseling (DCC) techniques for career services professionals. Co- presenter. Harvard University Office of Career Services. Cambridge, MA. January 2002.
- ReadyMinds Distance Career Counseling (DCC) training. Co-presenter. ReadyMinds, LLC. New York, NY. July 2002, January 2002, July 2001, January 2001.
- Featured on ABC's Television Show, “Business Week”, Money Talks 2004 Profiled or featured in: The USA Today, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Monstertrak, Expert Source News, MSNEncarta, The Chronicle for Higher Education, and Newsweek
Before we begin, here are a few instructions for listeners:
- If you have a question, press 5* on your phone.
- Directly after the interview, be sure to fill out the evaluation linked to your call-in instructions, especially if you want to earn CEUs.
- Please register at least 24 - 48 hours before the interview so we have time to send out the call-in information.
- If you'd like to listen to more of these tele-interviews, and your organization is not currently a subscriber, contact me with someone I can talk with about subscribing your organization so you can listen for free (except for the cost of your distance provider). Email info@ careerwell.org or call 415.312.4294.
- How long have you been in this business? Why did you choose this entrepreneurial avenue?
- How does ReadyMinds align itself in the marketplace?
- Does RM present a threat to any categories?
- Are you hiring ReadyMinds Counselors? If so, what qualifications must they possess?
- How have you kept & preserved your reputation in the marketplace over the years (14 years is a lot….)
- How have you seen the distance (online) career needs change over the years?
- Have you serviced or trained any international clientele?
- Is there any Intl. interest in these services on a large scale?
- Why did you decide to incorporate third party training offerings into your existing business?
- Does this training ‘really’ make Counselors more effective ? And how do you deal with ethical issues & guidelines?
- What do you say about counselors that are not formally trained in distance, yet doing it anyway?
- Do you do anymore public speaking?
- Do you attend conferences?
- What do you envision this ‘online/distance’ area to be like in the next five years?
- What mark do you feel you have made in this industry….& what are your current goals for more success?
Thank you DeeAnna and Randy, for keeping us informed about the intricasies of distance counseling.
- 9/1/11 Susan Musich, Passport Career: Make Your Career Move
- 9/8/11 Richard Bolles
- 9/15/11 Helen Barrett, The Many Uses of e-Portfolios throughout One's Life and Career
- 9/22/11 Eric Chester, Instilling Work Ethics in Young Students and Employees
- 9/29/11 Linda Hawes Clever, MD, The Fatigue Prescription: Four Steps To Renewing Your Energy, Health, and Life