Aya El Mir
Thursday, July 5, 2012, 8:00 am Pacific, 8:00 am Mountain, 10:00 am Central, 11:00 am EST, 12:00 pm Atlantic, 5:00 pm Zurich, 6:00 pm Istanbul, Dubai 8:00 pm
An International Perspective: Balancing Career and Caregiving
As a young full-time working mother of two 18-month old twins, Aya El Mir already had her hands full. To add to her challenges, she also cared for her mother who had a terminal illness. Discover how she managed to balance career and caregiving as a Senior Career Guidance Officer in Beirut. We shall also discuss how centralized and de-centralized university career services can complement each other.
Aya El Mir is a Senior Career Guidance Officer working since 2004 at the Lebanese American University in Beirut, Lebanon. She works with students and alumni to help them to find internship and job opportunities. Aya holds a Bachelor Science in Finance & Economics from the Lebanese American University (1999) and an MBA from West Virginia University, WV, USA (2001).
Senior Career Guidance Officer
Office of the Dean of Students
Lebanese American University
Tel: 961 1 786 456. Ext. 1679
Before we begin, here are a few instructions for listeners:
- If you have a question, press 5* on your phone.
- Directly after the interview, be sure to fill out the evaluation linked to your call-in instructions, especially if you want to earn CEUs.
- Please register at least 24 - 48 hours before the interview so we have time to send out the call-in information.
- If you'd like to listen to more of these tele-interviews, and your organization is not currently a subscriber, contact me with someone I can talk with about subscribing your organization so you can listen for free (except for the cost of your distance provider). Email info@ careerwell.org or call 415.312.4294
This is Dr. Sally Gelardin with Careerwell Tele-Interviews.Our guest today,
Aya El Mir, is a Senior Career Guidance Officer working since 2004 at the Lebanese American University in Beirut, Lebanon. She works with students and alumni to help them to find internship and job opportunities. Aya holds a Bachelor Science in Finance & Economics from the Lebanese American University (1999) and an MBA from West Virginia University, WV, USA (2001). I met Aya at a recent NCDA Conference in New Orleans and am so pleased to share her with listeners today.
- What was your home/work situation that you will discuss today?
- What was going on in Lebanon at that time politically? How did that affect you?
- Did you have any support?
- How did you get through each day?
- How did you maintain your health? Get enough sleep?
- What is your work like as a Career Guidance Officer at a university in Lebanon?
- With a 3m population in Lebanon, and with 5,000 students at the univeristy, what is the best way to coordinate career guidance centers within student affairs and within the different academic programs at the universities?
- Whom would employers contact on a daily basis? How would the central career office support the career centers in each department?