Thursday, March 8, 2012, 8:00 am Pacific, 9:00 am Mountain, 10:00 am Central, 11:00 am EST, 12:00 pm Atlantic, 5:00 pm Zurich, 6:00 pm Istanbul, Dubai 8:00 pm
The Tech Savvy Counselor: Enhancing and Extending Service Delivery With Technology
Often when counselors think of technology and counseling, the immediate thought is providing online counseling – but many other possibilities exist. In this interview, Dr. Deb Osborn will talk about technological tools such as email, chat (e.g., Elluminate, Skype), Second Life, apps, blogs and others as a way to enhance and deliver counseling services.
Dr. Osborn is an assistant professor in Psychological and Counseling Services at Florida State University and the 2011-2012 president of the National Career Development Association. She has been a counselor educator for 15 years, and a research associate in the FSU Center for the Study of Technology in Counseling and Career Development. She most recently co-authored The Internet: A Tool for Career Planning.
Debra Osborn, PhD
Educational Psychology & Learning Systems
3206-E Stone Building
1114 W. Call Street
PO Box 3064453
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4453
850.644.3742 (O); 850.644.8776(fax)
Try using some of the above technology tools with a partner, noting what worked well and didn’t.
Here is a Career Resources page that I co-created with a USF colleague, but wanted to mention the lab: http://careerresource.coedu.usf.edu/linkcareerlab/Careerlab.htm.
This is a link to many of the tools that I use: https://sites.google.com/site/debbieosborn/teaching-tools,
and finally, a link to the Center for the Study of Technology in Counseling and Career Development: http://www.career.fsu.edu/techcenter/
Before we begin, here are a few instructions for listeners:
- If you have a question, press 5* on your phone.
- Directly after the interview, be sure to fill out the evaluation linked to your call-in instructions, especially if you want to earn CEUs.
- Please register at least 24 - 48 hours before the interview so we have time to send out the call-in information.
- If you'd like to listen to more of these tele-interviews, and your organization is not currently a subscriber, contact me with someone I can talk with about subscribing your organization so you can listen for free (except for the cost of your distance provider). Email info@ careerwell.org or call 415.312.4294.
Dr. Osborn is an assistant professor in Psychological and Counseling Services at Florida State University and the 2011-2012 president of the National Career Development Association. She has been a counselor educator for 15 years, and a research associate in the FSU Center for the Study of Technology in Counseling and Career Development. She most recently co-authored The Internet: A Tool for Career Planning. Debra is the first of our speakers in this new Careerwell series on interesting career paths for career and other caring professionals. Welcome Debra!
- What is your opinion on the ethics of the place of technology in counseling? (SLIDE 2) How can technology enhance service delivery? (SLIDE 3)
- How can technology extend service delivery? (SLIDES 4 & 5)
- What distance delivery possibilities are available? (SLIDE 6)
- What is the value of email? (SLIDE 7) Example (SLIDE 8)
- What is the value of blogs/discussion boards? (SLIDE 9) Example (SLIDE 10)
- What is the value of websites? (SLIDE 11) Examples (SLIDES 12 & 13)
- What is the value of podcasts/videos? (SLIDE 14) Examples (SLIDE 15)
- What is the value of Facebook? (SLIDE 16) Examples (SLIDES 17 & 18)
- What is the value of Chat? (SLIDE 19)
- What is the value of Second Life (SLIDE 20) Examples (SLIDE 21)
- What is the value of Twitter (SLIDE 22) Examples (SLIDE 23)
- What is the value of Apps? (SLIDE 24) Examples (SLIDE 25)
- What is the value of Tablets (SLIDE 26)
- What is the value of Linked In? (SLIDE 27) Example (SLIDE 28) Do's and Don'ts (SLIDE 29)
- Could you summarize the valuable information that you have shared with us today about the place of technology in counseling? (SLIDE 30)
Upcoming March Interviewees
- Thursday, 3/15/12, 8:00 am Pacific, Daniel J. Cunningham, Fiduciary, Vocation; Actor/Singer, Avocation - Interesting Careeer Paths for Helping Professionals
- Thursday, 3/29/12, 8:00 am Pacific, Roberta Floyd, Displaced Homemaker, Then Career Professional, Raising Three Children