Thursday, January 27, 2011, 10 am Pacific, 11 am Mountain, noon Central, 1 pm EST, 2 pm Atlantic, 7 pm Zurich, 8 pm Istanbul
Free Technology Tools To Enhance Your Career Development
Participate in this interview to learn a few technology tools and tricks that will help you expand your teaching and training reach, promote and expand your business, and enhance your work. You will learn about several free tools that will help give you a web presence, collaborate with others, create videos without a webcam or camcorder, and make a podcast. Investing a little time in these tools will give you enormous return.
Dr. Janet Wall is President of Sage Solutions, a consulting firm specializing in assessment, career and workforce development, labor market information, occupations, and training. She has authored several books on job seeking skills, vocational interests, and test preparation, as well as the award-winning ASVAB Career Exploration Program for the US Department of Defense. In addition, she has led development of ACT's DISCOVER, and consulted for the US Departments of State, Education and Labor. She is VP for Career Development for World Learning Network, and is a certified career development facilitator instructor for the National Career Development Association. With certifications in social media marketing and distance education, she has designed several online courses. Her training specialties are O*NET, assessment, multicultural issues, labor market information, the ASVAB Career Exploration Program, green jobs, vocational interests, and practical uses of technology.
Dr. Janet E. Wall, CDFI
President and Founder, Sage Solutions
Find me at www.linkedin.com
Certifications: Distance Ed; Social Media Strategist
Online Training: careerfacilitator.pbworks.com
CDF Program: sites.google.com...
Author: Job Seekers Online Goldmine
What Do I Like to Do?: 101 Activities to Identify Interests and Plan Careers
Measuring Up: Assessment Issues for Teachers, Counselors, and Administrators
ASVAB Test Preparation Books (now in second edition)
Download Additional Materials
Opening Instructions for Listeners
Before we begin, here are a few instructions for listeners:
- If you have a question, press 5* on your phone.
- Directly after the interview, be sure to fill out the evaluation linked to your call-in instructions, especially if you want to earn CEUs.
- Please register at least 24 - 48 hours before the interview so we have time to send out the call-in information.
- If you'd like to listen to more of these tele-interviews, and your organization is not currently a subscriber, contact me with someone I can talk with about subscribing your organization so you can listen for free (except for the cost of your distance provider). Email info@ careerwell.org or call 415.312.4294.
This is Dr. Sally Gelardin with Careerwell Tele-Interviews. Our guests today, Janet Wall, is a very active career professional. She teaches both national training programs, and has designed her own training programs and has authored four career-related books. She adapts her skills to the emerging needs of the profession, Today she will discuss free technology. Janet is our newest speaker for Careerwell's series of career technology interviews. In the next hour, she will expand our knowledge on the use of free technology tools. Welcome Janet!
- How did you get your training?
- Who/what are your sources of technical support?
- What categories of technology tools would you recommend to career practitioners who want to expand their business and enhance their work? (slide3)
- What kind of career practitioner/client/student would benefit from using the technology tools that you suggest? (slide 2)
- Why would you use those kinds of tools?
- What specific tools do you recommend?
- Websites (google, slides 4,5) (Weebly, slides 6, 7, 8)
- Collaboration (PBWorks, slides, 9, 10, 11, 12) (Doodle, slides 13, 14)
- Video (PhotoStory, slides 15, 16, 17, 18)
- Audio (Audacity, slide 19)
- More (slide 20)
- What are the benefits/drawbacks of each of these tools?
- What platform/s do you use to teach your courses? Why?
- How do you manage technology overload? What do you do to balance your life (i.e., away from the computer)?
- How much time do you spend at the computer each day/week?
- How did you become interested in technology? Who might not benefit?
Upcoming February Interviews
Thanks Janet, for your information-packed presentation. Next month we are pleased to feature Norm Amundson from the University of British Columbia, who will discuss integrating life stories with health. Then, on February 10, Tristana Harvey, will talk about environmental influences on social media, and on February 17 Terry Webber will discuss the value of state websites for finding work. Until next week, this is Dr. Sally Gelardin with Careerwell Tele-Interviews.