Thursday, October 21, 2010, 10 am Pacific, 11 am Mountain, 12 pm Central, 1 pm EST, 2 pm Atlantic, 6 pm Zurich, 7 pm Instanbul
Career Development and Technology: Getting a Grip with Internet Tools
According to Internet World Stats, approximately 75% of North Americans are online, and with so many websites, blogs, apps, and tools 'out there', it's difficult to keep up to date. This program will help career professionals learn how to use free online tools to stay productive in their professional lives, keep up with what’s happening in the field, and effectively manage information. Vic will introduce a number of easy-to-use Internet resources which include tools to help information, time, and project management. He will also include a brief overview of how to best manage social networking.
- What is your relationship with technology? Personally? Professionally?
- How do you use technology with your clients/students?
- Where do you get your information? How do you organize it? Share it? Utilize it?
- How do you feel about social media? Personal? Professional?
- Do you have a technology mentor?
- What are some actions you can do to be more tech savvy?
Vic Massaglia loves his job as a career counselor for the University of Minnesota Law School. He is also principle of Cygnus 360, a career development consultancy practice that helps career counselors, career services offices, and clients use social networking tools and other technology to be more productive and connected.
Vic has over 25 years of experience in communication, personnel administration, organization development, coaching, training, college instruction, and management for private and public organizations. He holds a masters degree in human resource development with a concentration in career development from the University of St. Thomas (UST), and a degree in English education from Minnesota State University-Mankato. Prior to working for the law school, he was an Associate Director of Learning and Development for UST's Center for Business Excellence. Vic also served as a personnel administrator for ten years in the U.S. Air Force where he counseled staff regarding their various transitions. He is a board member for the Minnesota Career Development Association and serves on several of MCDA’s professional development and conference committees.
www.cygnus360.com (In design phase)
Opening Instructions for Listeners
Before we begin, here are a few instructions for listeners:
- If you have a question, press 5* on your phone.
- Directly after the interview, be sure to fill out the evaluation linked to your call-in instructions, especially if you want to earn CEUs.
- Please register at least 24 - 48 hours before the interview so we have time to send out the call-in information.
- If you'd like to listen to more of these tele-interviews, and your organization is not currently a subscriber, contact me with someone I can talk with about subscribing your organization so you can listen for free (except for the cost of your distance provider). Email info@ careerwell.org or call 415.312.4294.
This is Dr. Sally Gelardin with Careerwell Tele-Interviews. Our speaker today is Vic Massaglia. Vic is a career counselor for the University of Minnesota Law School. He is also principle of Cygnus 360, a career development consultancy practice that helps career counselors, career services offices, and clients use social networking tools and other technology to be more productive and connected. Prior to working for the law school, he was an Associate Director of Learning and Development for the University of St. Thomas Center for Business Excellence. Vic also served as a personnel administrator for ten years in the U.S. Air Force. He is a board member for the Minnesota Career Development Association. Welcome Vic!
- What is Cygnus 360?
- How did you get interested in how career development and technology work together?
- Why should we use technology as a career development tool?
- How can we use technology as a career development tool?
- In your position as career counselor for the University of Minnesota Law School, how do you use technology with your students?
- What kinds of career counseling tools do you recommend? (Cygnus 360 handout 2)
- What criteria do one use to determine what important information is? (Cygnus 360 handout p. 3)
- What are your 5 steps for managing information? (Cygnus 360 handout p. 5)
- How do you keep up with it all? (Cygnus PowerPoint 9-12 and Career Development Blogs Excel file)
- What is "Social Media," and how do you determine what social media to use? (Cygnus 360 handout p. 6, Cygnus 360 PowerPoint, p. 13)
- What are types of Social Media? Could you give a few examples of each? (Cygnus 360 handout p. 7, Cygnus 360 PowerPoint, p. 15)
- How would you advise listeners to develop a technology strategy? (Cygnus 360 handout p. 8-9, Cygnus 360 PowerPoint, p. 23)
- Could you suggest some resources if we want to find out more about how to use technology to support career development? (Cygnus 360 handout p. 9-11, Cygnus 360 PowerPoint, p. 23. Counselor Tech Resources Excel file)
Thank you Vic, for providing listeners with a powerpoint presentation, a handout, a list of free career development blogs, and an Excel file of free counselor technical resources. Links to all this material is posted on your Careerwell Web Page. Listeners, be sure to visit careerwell.org and click on Vic's name to view his wealth of materials and activity that you can use directly with your clients.
Join me next week for upcoming October 28 presenter, Joan Marques, who will talk about Passionate Women Entrepreneurs: Creating an Internal Locus of Control. She provided us with two videos, including music, that are posted on her Careerwell Web page. I encourage listeners to go to careerwell.org and watch her video and do her exercise before her interview. Until next week, this is Dr. Sally Gelardin with Careerwell Tele-Interviews.