Seven-Year Cycles Activity

During the first seven years of the 21st centry, I developed two career models, the "Tightrope Artist Model" for career decision-making and the "Caregiver's Wellness Model" for balancing caregiving with career. After seven years of embarking on my own career business (before that I spend seven years as a student and full-time employee of a university), I wrote books, produced career products, created online courses, and pursued continuous education and training. I learn by doing.

A wonderful film documentary to view on seven-year cycles is the BBC 7-Up Series, directed by Paul Almond. The director followed the lives of 14 children from various economic backgrounds. Every seven years he films new material from as many of the fourteen as are willing to participate.

An Activity
Divide your life into seven-year periods. Create a timeline of high and low points in your life every seven years. Identify themes that run from one seven-year period to another, or that skip some periods, but repeat in other period. Awareness of how these events have affected you may set you in a new direction or confirm a current career path.