Doing something differently leads to something exceptional.

Dear Parents:

Your child is enrolled in my Digital Imaging or Photography class. I’m thrilled your child chose V&P Arts and excited to work together as partners in this wonderful new adventure.

In addition to regularly exhibiting my own photographs, I have a Bachelor’s degree in both English and Art plus a Master’s degree in Art History. I have two teaching credentials in Art, both California and National Board Certification. Before coming to LAUSD thirteen years ago, I was Assistant Curator of Photography at the Getty Museum for twelve+ years where I created and organized photo exhibitions. I have taught Photography, A.P. Art History, A.P. Studio Art, Graphic Design, and Animation at both the Arts Magnet at Fairfax High School in West Hollywood and Bell High in Southeast LA.

Please read and sign the attached equipment liability/photo release consent form. Also, please read the attached syllabus as well as the website I’ve created for my media arts classes. The site will keep you and your child informed of both homework and class assignments:

http://campus.digication.com/MediaArtsVAPA/Welcome/

As you may notice on the Teacher/Student Awards page, many of my past students have won prestigious awards for their artwork. I’m looking forward to helping your child reach to his/her highest potential as well.  

I have some great news to share. After working with me for three years at my former school, CalArts (a world-famous 4-year art college) has decided to follow my program to V&P Arts. So your child will have the chance to sign up for a media arts class this school year taught by CalArts college faculty. As an added bonus, completion of this class qualifies your child for a CalArts scholarship. I‘ll be providing you with more details ASAP.

Since I will be running three labs, managing equipment checkout and teaching daily, I could use as much parent support as possible, especially this first year. Please call or email me if you can contribute any time. I’ll need help in the following areas: lab prep, coordination of contests, exhibits, web publication, guest speaker program, and CalArts after-school CAP program.

Please feel free to contact me throughout the semester with any questions or concerns.

Thanks for your support,

Joan Dooley, NBCT

jdooley@lasud.net

Attachments:

1.     Syllabus – to keep
  2.     Photo Release/ Equipment liability form  - to sign & return