Steve Sanyshyn

A Brief Biography

Background:  I currently reside in up-state New York and am pursuing an A.A.S. Civil Engineering Technology degree at Broome Community College in Binghamton, NY. I am a native of the greater Binghamton area, having grown up in Newark Valley and gone to school at Whitney Point Central. Although I moved away from the area for some time and resided in both Colorado and Tenneessee, I found myself moving back to Binghamton in April of 2005. Why, some may ask, would I leave behind the beautiful snow capped mountains of Colorado, or the warmer winters of Tenneessee to come back here?  For sake of providing a quick answer, let me say this.... “family is important and home is always home.”

After graduating from the State University of New York at Fredonia in May of 2000 with a B.S. in Sound Recording Technology, I realized that I really didn't want to spend my time in a recording studio in New York City or L.A.  I realized that I needed to figure out what it was I wanted to do, and answer the question that had been nagging me since I was a little kid.....”What else is out there?”  So, I packed up my car, all my belongings, a Rand McNalley and headed west. After a month on the road I landed in Eagle, Colorado and lived there for three years.

Where my interest in Civil Engineering began:  During my three year residency in Colorado I had the chance to observe the effects of drought, and began to realize the increased need to conserve and reuse water resources.  Working for a company that installed landscaping and irrigation systems, I had the chance to see how irrigation systems were designed for small residences and large ranches.  Although I spent my time installing pipe I had a chance to see how nature could remove it.  After an unusually heavy rainfall, a large culvert pipe that ran under I-70 in Colorado was washed out, leaving a 30 foot wide hole across four lanes of interstate. Some blamed the tragedy on Colorado's naturally sandy soil and some blamed it on poor engineering.  Either way, it was these types of experiences that prompted me to start thinking about studying civil engineering.

Why my interest in Civil Engineering Continues:  During the 2008 construction season I interned with the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) as a Traffic Construction Inspector (TCI) and had the chance to be involved with a number of bridge repair jobs.  The job encompassed everything from bridge bearing and diaphragm replacement to concrete removal and replacement.  It was a great opportunity to learn more about bridge design considerations and to see how all the pieces and parts go together.  The whole time I was out in the field I remember myself thinking "yah, I can do this."

Goals:  I'm looking forward to graduation in May 2009 from BCC.  I am excited to continue working in the Civil Engineering field.  My main interests are in the areas of road and bridge desgin and storm water management.